Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No Justice For The Suntetsu.

I had just finished watching the Suntetsu video sold by Sakura Martial Arts Supply and I was left a little disappointed. The Master of the video was putting down the "BOB" (Body Opponent Bag) and said it was useless and then proceeds to "push" his version of an anatomical training bag. He then goes on to say that many of the "secret" or combat hand positions in various forms of Karate- Do were meant for the application of the Suntetsu !!!! I then said to myself "Ok, educate me". But the instructor goes on ragging other Karate systems by implying that karate practitioners are doing hand techniques when they should be using the Suntetsu for those combat hand positions ! I then again said to myself "Ok, educate me" !! His demonstration of such a unique and dynamic weapon was so lame that if you have any problems falling asleep this "lame duck" video will do the the trick and you'll be counting sheep in no time !!!! He does a series of exercises that involve moving around the anotomical bag that were so stiff and weird to me that I had to wonder. There were many good people that came out for his seminar in that video and I feel they did not get what they paid for.

Again, my exposure to the filipino martial arts brings out a different dynamic that blends with all martial systems. You never imply to the good folks who come out to a seminar and say "well, your art is not good or you shouldn't train in this or that" !! That's absolute crap ! In my experience (25 years of training in the martial arts. And 15 years of doing executive protection and club security) I have had the pleasure of working with various men and women from diverse martial disciplines (karate, judo, tae kwon do, kung fu and the "school of hard knocks") and I am thankful that they were all talented in their art and watching my back !!!

The Suntetsu is obviously a close cousin to the Filipino Dulo Dulo, Yawara and Edda Koppa Yawara of Japan. I train with various "hand loads" and recognized the similarities. I purchased two Suntetsu's from Sakura Martial Arts Supply a very fine store might I add. And I have had no problems adapting my Yawara movements to the Suntetsu.

The only thing that is worth mentioning in this video is that he went over some joint locks and a choke that I liked but overall the video was not exciting and not worth the money in my opinion.

In my martial training you will have combat systems that you like but that does not disregard other systems of combat. And whenever I teach someone weapons technique I will refer to their martial style and say "Well, we do it like this- just like you but a variation" ! And once they make the connection their eyes literally pop out of their head ! Because now they understand !!

Sakura Martial Arts Supply
P.O. Box 35471
Canton, Ohio 44735

Website:

www.sakuramartialarts.com



Phone:

(888)725-8720

Here at the JAJOVIDA Martial Arts Ctr. we specialize in small impact weapons and we will show you the similarities and how these weapons relate to your martial system. To begin your path to learn small impact weapons contact us:

1736 Unionport Rd.
Bronx, NY 10462

Website:

www.buddhastrike.com

Office:

(718)864-6022

Till the next time. Train hard, train safe !!!!

Buddha

No comments: